More Than a Chronology
Though it might be informative to enjoy the FixturesCloseUp® Blog merely chronologically, as in “Will he post something interesting, wacky or too dull for words this week?” But as content builds the Blog becomes database-like in usefulness. Try these approaches to finding fixture ideas and solutions.
- CATEGORIES: Select specific hardware genres from the Categories Menu (at right) or near the top of each post to list all post that have been classified in these areas. Categories include: Anti-Theft, Bar Systems, Cooler Merchandising, Guerrilla Marketing, Display Hooks, Scan Hooks, Specialty Hooks, Label and Sign Holders, Shelf Edge Fixtures, Shelf Management Systems, and Uncategorized.
- TAGS: A scrollable list of items carrying the same Tag can be called up from the Clickable Tag Cloud Menu (at right) or near the top of each post. Overarching Tags include the major retail channels of Apparel, Auto, Drug, General Merchandise, Grocery, Hardware, Housewares, Jewelry, Office Supply, POP (Point-of-Purchase), Shoe, Specialty, Sports and Toy. A finer gradation of Tag allows access by significant fixture threads such as “Back Tag” across all retail channels. Mass merchandisers and department stores should review the individual retail channels … apparel, auto and so forth … and apply the concepts seen to their internal departments.
- INDEX PAGES: Accessed from top-level menu above, A new class of Index pages are being created that list all important information on a Tag’d thread including Posts by Title, Tag, Pinterest Board, and URL to that Index page. The goal is to provide a central hub for researching that thread, and to provide a variety of ways to access threads verbally as well as visually. Many users may not need this level of intense Indexing. But for those who do, or for a specific urgent need, summary Index Pages will be available. Index Pages are the latest research aid and are under development. Please have patience while this tool is being fleshed out. You can also get a current list of Index Pages by searching INDEX: with a colon as a search term.
- PINTEREST BOARD: Category and Tag searches produce a scrollable list of all related posts directly on FixturesCloseUp. But for a visual scan of images only, you might find Pinterest Board photo summaries a good way to scout a thread quickly. Note that only one photo from a multi-photo post is represented on the Pinterest Board. So not finding what you need there might indicate you need to do more detailed research with the Category and Tag menus.
- SEARCH TERM: To be effective, use as specific a term as possible to search. Enclosing your search phrase in quotes can sometimes produce a different result than non-quoted search, so try both. You may actually get a more focused result from the Category and Tag Menus and searches. So check to see if an appropriate search thread exists there.
- GENERAL RESEARCH ADVICE: Be inventive with search and access Categories and Tags creatively. The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type the complete works of William Shakespeare. (SOURCE: Wikipedia). So should this Blog, figuratively speaking, eventually offer something of value. Watch for the addition of new features and search types over time. For now the only thing FixturesCloseUp cannot yet do is whistle “Dixie” … mainly because it is written north of the Mason Dixon Line. But I am working on that.
As Guiding Principles This Blog will…
- Attempt to post interesting new fixtures or unusual applications of existing fixtures.
- Post fixtures that formed a basis for common sense advice on fixture selection and use.
- Focus on small scale fixtures not complete displays or the over-arching store environment.
- Be a “rave” not a “rant.” Posts will be positive acclamations, though downsides might be pointed out.
- To the greatest extent possible de-emphasized or obscure store names, product brands, and actual fixture manufacturers.
- Be based upon the value of a fixture idea. Inclusion will not be fee or remuneration-based.
- Be cross referenced by CATEGORY, TAG, SEARCH TERMS and PINS. Over time the Blog will allow comparison of alternate solutions.
- Include (as necessary) a “Baseline” post, that is, a normal application of a fixture or general approach to display allowing comparison with what are deemed more unusual or unique solutions.
- Be updated regularly.